Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Book Review Tuesday: Partials by Dan Wells


This week's book is Partials by Dan Wells. Read on to learn whether or not you should check this dystopian novel out.

Partials by Dan Wells

            The market is saturated with dystopian novels right now. Actually, some would say it is super-saturated. Yet I can’t seem to stop picking them up in the bookstores. Well, that’s not entirely true. I don’t just happen to pick them up and become interested. I actively seek them out. I research ahead of time the best dystopian novels out right now. I think it’s safe to say I have a problem. I recently found out about Partials by Dan Wells, and I am very glad that I did.

            Partials is the story of a teenage girl determined to find out what the government has to hide. It is set in 2076 after almost the entire population has been wiped out by “Partials,” which are essentially human being knock-offs. They look like humans, think like humans, feel emotions like humans, but were manufactured by the government to fight as our soldiers in war. But the Partials brought war upon human beings, and released a virus that reduced the population to only several thousand immune people and caused any baby to die immediately after birth. Kira decides to make it her mission to cure RM and prevent the human population from ending completely; however, she learns that things are not quite what they seem when it comes to the Partials.

            In my opinion, one of the best aspects of this novel is how well it convinces the reader that this fictional reality could actually happen. Everything is very scientific, which really forces the reader to focus on what is happening in the story. I love a story that makes me think about things that I have not thought about before, and Dan Wells really made me question whether our society’s reliance on artificial intelligence could be our downfall. On the flip side, despite the novel’s depth, it does not become tedious to read. I could still follow along with the plotline and the science of it was not so complicated that it became overwhelming to understand what the characters were talking about.

            The character of Kira was another reason I thoroughly enjoyed Partials. She is essentially the character we all hope we would be in this situation. She is caring, intelligent, and not over-confident about her abilities. She fights the system, but still does not always know what choice is the right choice. One of the ways that other novels become too cheesy is that they become too bogged down in the romance side of the story. Kira has a romantic interest, but it never becomes the focal point of the story. I appreciate that, especially in a dystopian novel. This novel also has quite a few twists and turns that really leave the reader wanting more. The sign of a great book is one that you just literally can’t stop reading, even if it is 3am. And Partials definitely delivers that.

            Overall, read Partials. Between the action, science, and foreboding sense of potential reality, you will be salivating for the sequel, Fragments.

What did you think of the review? Have you read Partials? If so, what did you think? If not, are you thinking about reading it now? Any other dystopian novels that you would recommend? I would love to hear your feedback in the comments below!

Click here to check this book out on Amazon.

No comments: