Sunday, March 10, 2013

Taking my "me time" today

I have been working on the pages of my blog, so this is my first blog post. I debated for a while about what I should write about. Then I decided it should be about one of the most important things new mommies should always get. Their "me time."

It's 12:22 a.m., and I am indulging in some "me time". KT and Ella are both asleep (and have been since 8 p.m.), so I get some time to myself. I took a long, hot shower. I made myself a cup of decaf, hazelnut coffee. I settled in on the couch to read my new Cosmopolitan. I cooked a nice dinner. I ate. And now I am working on my new blog.

Although I have only been a mommy for four months, I realized pretty early on that something was going to have to give. I have not gone back to work yet, so I am at home with Ella everyday. And I love it. But I quickly learned that you can only take so much of taking care of a baby before you have to start taking care of yourself too. Taking care of Ella is the best part of my day, and I truly mean that. But having some time for myself definitely allows me to rejuvenate...in a baby-free zone. Tonight that means sitting on the couch with Cosmo and coffee. Some days that means leaving for a few hours to go to Books-a-Million to read a good book. It sounds silly but not being able to read whenever I choose has actually been something that I have had to adjust to. I was so used to being able to finish a book in one setting that having to put a book down because Ella needs something was a big adjustment. But I have made that adjustment by getting a few hours every now and then to do whatever I please, like read that book that is suddenly taking me a week to finish. :)

I have been pretty lucky with getting my "me time" because KT actually pushes me to make sure I get some time for myself. The very first time I left, which was just for an hour to get dinner with a friend, was so difficult for me. KT really encouraged me to get out of the house or I was going to go insane. He was right. We all need time to just breathe for a little while. "Me time" is something that I will blog about pretty frequently because I feel it really is important not to lose ourselves in motherhood. Our babies need us to be at the top of our game all the time, so why shouldn't we indulge in ourselves a bit? Becoming burnt out is the last thing we, our babies, or our partners want or need, so avoid that by taking a time out every once in a while!

 At about 6 a.m. when Ella wakes up to eat I may regret letting my "me time" run so late, but we live and we learn, right??

Don't be afraid to take some "me time". It can really help you be an even better mommy to your precious little one.

XOXO
Dani

No comments: